The Woodcrest Christian School System was originally founded as Riverside Christian Day School in 1948 for the purpose of offering a Christ-centered education to help families produce happy, well-educated, Godly young people.
The School was started through the cooperative efforts of Christian educators and Christian parents who held to the firm conviction that the Living God and His Eternal Word, the Bible, deserve a central place in education. A two-story house on Tenth Street in downtown Riverside was used as a school facility to accommodate 28 students in the first year. A move to a renovated studio building on Sunnyside Drive was required for the second year as the School continued to grow. Construction of the Riverside campus on the Arlington Avenue site was begun shortly thereafter. The two existing classroom wings and the rotunda building were completed by 1965, which provided ample space for the growing student body.