1) What is the philosophy and history of the Woodcrest Christian School System?
The Woodcrest Christian School System (WCSS) is the name for our two-campus system which provides a ministry of Christ-centered Academics that is evangelical, interdenominational, co-educational, and college-preparatory. Our elementary campus, Woodcrest Christian Day School (first established as Riverside Christian Day School) was founded in 1948 for the purpose of helping families produce happy, well-educated, and Godly young people. In 1973, Woodcrest Christian School was opened as an extension of WCDS as parents desired this Christ-centered education to continue through high school. These schools form the Woodcrest Christian School System (K-12) and operate as a California religious non-profit 501 (c)3 corporation serving a student body of over 900 students. This program of Christ-centered Academics is being used by God to help students manifest Christ-like character and Godly wisdom for college entrance and meaningful life ministry.
2) Is WCSS accredited?
We are fully accredited by the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
3) What are the faculty qualifications?
We have more than 100 employees; 32 of which are full-time teaching faculty. Most of our faculty have been teaching here an average of 15 years. Every faculty member is a qualified college graduate and is certified through either the state of California or the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). Approximately 50% have advanced degrees. Our teachers are carefully selected Christians who are trained academically and spiritually to minister to students in their assigned grade levels. Our teachers are prepared to instruct students in wisdom, and to discipline them in love.
4) Does WCSS follow CA Common Core Curriculum?
No. Since we are not tied to the State of California Common Core Curriculum requirements, we are free to choose the best curriculum for our students that supports our desire to pursue educational excellence and spiritual development.
5) Is transportation offered for students to and from school?
Yes, we are proud to offer two shuttlebus options to assist our families with transportation. The shuttlebus is an additional service that can be arranged at registration or through the Finance Office. Route One transports students between Woodcrest Christian Day School and Woodcrest Christian School. Route Two transports students between Harvest Christian School and Woodcrest Christian School. Get more information about our bus service.
6) What is the application process?
The first step is to attend a campus tour. This can be done by attending a Campus Preview Day or the Prospective Family Dinner and Tour. The next step is to schedule an entrance exam. And the final step is to register online. Registration opens March 1, 2018. Get more information about our application process.
7) What important admission dates and deadlines should I be aware of?
Visit our Admissions Timeline page for details about important dates and deadlines in the enrollment process.
8) How do I schedule a parent or student visit?
We warmly encourage you to visit our campuses. Tours are offered throughout the year, by appointment only. Tours can be set up by calling our campus offices directly. Get more information about campus tours.
9) Is financial aid available?
Yes, financial aid is available. Contact our Finance Office for more information, (951) 780-2010.
10) How many students go on to attend college and where?
99% of graduating seniors attend college including Ivy League universities, private Christian universities, UC and Cal State universities. Many graduates also go on to serve in our military.
11) How do WCSS students perform compared to other schools?
WCSS students consistently score higher on standardized tests compared to students in RUSD and compared to California state and national averages. At the high school level, WCSS student test scores consistently outperform AP pass rates and SAT and ACT scores.
12) What sports opportunities are available?
Our athletic program exists to glorify God by developing Christian character and excellence in its student athletes through life-transforming competitive experiences. Opportunities are available for both individual and team participation. Our middle school and high school teams have garnered numerous athletic awards. Get more information about our athletics.
13) Are there team sports for elementary school students?
Our elementary grade students can participate in intramural sports.
14) What extra-curricular opportunities are offered?
We have a full complement of clubs and activities for students.
• Elementary School opportunities include: Private piano and guitar lessons, STEM club, 100 Mile Club, and Band.
• Middle School opportunities include: Royals Honor Society, Mission Trips, Washington DC Trip, Choir Festivals, Drama Performances, Speech Club, Bombastic Ball, Math Club, Game Nights, Wacky Wednesdays, Yearbook Club, Service Opportunities, and more.
• High School opportunities include: National Honor Society, CA Scholarship Federation, Student Council, Mock Trial, Chess Club, Science Club, Art Club, Educational Tours, Drama Club, Choir Concerts, Drama Performances, Senior Retreat, and more!
15) Can I monitor my child’s grades and homework assignments?
Yes, current grades and weekly homework assignments are posted to our Royal Notes online system accessible to login from the homepage of our website. Elementary student homework and teacher updates are available through our Royals Notes online system.
16) Is WCSS affiliated with a specific church or denomination?
We are not affiliated with a particular church or denomination. We have students from a variety of church backgrounds represented from churches throughout the Southern California area.
17) Are immunizations required for enrollment?
Yes, with the passing of SB 277, all California students must have current immunization records on file with the school office before being present on the school campus.
18) What are other families saying about WCSS?
Our current families, alumni, and students have shared what they love and appreciate about WCSS. Check out our testimonials.
“The staff really cares about the children, on a spiritual level as well as academic level. My children feel very loved at WCS. The academics are great too.” –WCSS Parent